Our lips and mouth are an indicator of our emotions and fuller lips have always been associated with youth and beauty.
As part of the natural ageing process the composition of our lips and surrounding structures alter over time. From the peak of fullness in your 20’s the lips start showing changes along with other factors such as gravity, genetics and smoking, the mouth may appear to look ‘sad mouthed’ or drooping.
Treatments for lip enhancements involve the strategic injection of hyaluronic acid biodegradable dermal fillers into parts of the lips and surrounding areas to enhance, shape or add volume to the lips and reduce surrounding fine lines and wrinkles. Lip fillers also add balance and symmetry to uneven lips and create harmony between the lips and other facial features.
Creating the perfect lips often involves much more than just increasing their size. Care and attention must also be given to the surrounding skin, such as filling the fine lines that appear above and below the lip, lifting the corners of the mouth that can sag with age, or correcting the “nose to mouth” lines that commonly appear to frame the mouth at either end. Neglecting these enhancements can lead to an imbalance on the overall harmony between the lips and face.
We advocate soft, sensuous lips in harmony with your looks. Depending on what you want to achieve, you may be one or a combination of the following;
- The boarder of the lip – Enhancement of the boarder of the lips instantly creates a clear edge to the lips and defines the boards in much the same way as lip liner. Augmentation of the lip boarder also helps to fill out lip lines and wrinkles that cause lipstick to “bleed”.
- The body of the lip – One of both lips may be enhanced to create a fuller, “pouting” look, or to restore an aesthetic balance between uneven lips.
- Vertical upper lip lines or “smokers lines” – Softening these lines rejuvenates skin quality around the lips and reduces lipstick “bleed”.
- The oral commissures, or depressions at the lower corners of the mouth – With ageing, gravity takes its toll and the corners of the mouth begin to sag and turn downward, leaving a persistent dour expression. Dermal fillers can help turn the corners up, instantly creating a happier more positive expression.
- The two ridges running from the centre of the upper lip to the nose, called the philtrum – Subtle augmentation of the philtrum gives the upper lip a more sensuous shape and curve.
- The cupid’s bow in the centre of the upper lip – accentuation of the cupid’s brow, in conjunction with augmentation of the philtrum, creates an aesthetically pleasing contour. This gives the impression of a shorter lip and reverses the tendency to lengthening and flattening that occurs with age.
Treatment here provides support to the lip and helps improve shadows in the area and can help with the profile contour of the lower face.
This treatment provides the perfect solution to achieving a naturally seductive pout. It also provides a harmonious balance to your facial features so that you feel better about the way you look. By having a refreshed lip-line with a more attractive contour will also help to stop the lipstick bleed. We only use non-permanent, safe and biodegradable products for lip enhancement in order to achieve a natural appearance.
It is important to have lips that suit your face appropriately. As a rule, for people with a smaller face, eyes and nose, it may be more appropriate to concentrate on well defining the border rather than focusing on volume. As a general rule bottom lip should be larger than the top, this however, is not always the case.
Local anaesthetic may be used depending on the area treated and your personal preference. The filler is injected into the area with a very fine needle. This can be uncomfortable but won’t last long.
The result is instantaneous, producing a natural appearing improvement, gentle and safe to the skin lasting up to 9 months. The great thing with this treatment is that you can replenish your looks whenever you feel the need; a touch up is easy and can be performed whenever you like.
Allergy testing is not necessary with the type of filler we use. The treatment time is quote and takes 30-45 minutes.
Although you may be slightly swollen after treatment, there us very little down time and you should be able to return to your normal day-to-day activities straight afterwards.
After lip enhancement, the main side effect is swelling of the lips. This will gradually resolve over 3-5 days. Usually injection of the lip body produces more swelling than injection at the lip border. Slight bruising may also result at the injection site.
Occasionally, lip enhancement may cause cold sores to recur. If this is the case, please notify us so we can prescribe an anti-viral tablet. It is best to avoid strenuous exercise and excessive UV exposure for at least 48 hours post treatment.
On occasion minor irregularities may be noticed initially. These may be massaged twice daily until they have resolved.
Results and Longevity:
The results will last for around 9 months, depending on lifestyle, skin structure, age and degree of perfection demanded. A huge benefit with the products used by us is that your body breaks it down completely. Therefore you are able to make choices about your appearance to ensure you always have the most appealing features of the time. Who knows what the perception of ideal beauty will be in 10 years? Furthermore, as we age, a face is constantly changing and beauty is best maintained by periodically evaluating the need for further treatment.